Sunday, 3 April 2011

Place Book: Research...

Gorilaz - Fire Coming Out Of The Monkey's Head

For this assignment, everyone was required to choose a song from a list and create a 'placebook' for it. So I choose this song because I'm a fan of the Gorilaz.

(Below is the track I choose.)


Research:


I decided to research monkeys because of the music group's name, Gorilaz. I then moved onto environmental scenes like jungles, ancient ruins, potential characters, etc.




 This is a character (below) from the kids programme, 'Kim Possible'. He's called 'Monkeyfist', one of many villains. He's quiet animalistic and has some distinct, facial features that resemble Chips.










(Below, a scene from Alladin.)


(Below are stills from the clip 'Exclusive in the Making Footage of Walt Disney Pictures "The Princess and the Frog'.)



(This video below is the actual clip of the making of 'Princess'. I wanted to look at these...)


(Below, 'The Princess and the Frog: Dr Facilier - Shadow Man'.)


I Love this character, because he is the don of dark magic, has voodoo minions and a Shadow that seems to reflect himself, a sinister shadow that may even be another 'entity' all together...








(Below, 'Stalk of the Celery Monster' - Tim Burton.)


I wanted my animation to be kind of sketchy, like this clip above. I also liked the villain in this.

(Below, 'Sandman' 1992.)


(Below, Aladdin Screenshots.)






(Below, 'The Grinch Who Stole Christmas'.)


This story is very similar in a sense to the song I choose. The Who's reside in a small peaceful town, whereas the Grinch lives on top of Mount Crumpet. The fact that someone lives up there on their own, secluded, suggests that there's a divide between the Grinch and the Whos; like two worlds co-existing with one another.

(Below, 'Hercules' Screenshots.)

Thought this could be relevant too because of Mount Olympus where the 'Gods' dwell. I was drawn to the whole 'divide' of peoples theme again.





(Below, 'Casper'.)




Ideas for my Animatic:

I liked the idea of there being this divide in the story, a kind of good and bad, where both are forced to live with one another. It fitted in with the characters.  The ones that reside in the mountain, mining it of its goods, and the other natives who keep their' distance.


Conclusion:

My animatic came out better than I had anticipated. The storyboard was shortened due to there not being enough time to make a long movie. But my monkey character got to move.
I could have managed my time better, as on deadline day, when I was exporting my film, problems began creeping up. Thankfully, the tutors helped me out.

No comments:

Post a Comment