Monday, 6 August 2012

Coldside: What have I been up to...

Everything has been busy as of lately, I'm struggling to multi-task at the moment.

As for work experience, I've not arranged rondevus with the guys to talk about what they specifically want. Although, when we've had parties and special occasions in the past, I've spoken to them then.
The artwork they have asked of me is:

  • Character art of themselfs - as cartoons, much in the style of Jamie Hewlett's Gorillaz.
  • Some album cover designs of their' cartoon selves in a living room like scenario.
__________________________________________________________________________________

What I've been working on lately:

  • Whilst I've been on this project, I've struggled to draw Wayne's cartoon eyes. Everything else seems to have gone into place with his facial structure, it was just the eyes, they never looked right. Anyway, I decided to draw up Wayne's cartoon emotions in hopes it would help shift the project forward more, and give the cartoon wayne more of a physical essence, that he isn't just static. I've tried to tie it in Jamie Hewlett's art style, so there would be some resemblance and yet it would be original. I've done this by archiving some of his work together in an album and just looking through his pieces for reference. 
I'm a fan of Manga/Anime art as it is anyway, so this project is right up my street. The images below are what I've made and showed Wayne. It's just a mock up, but it's one of the best things I've drawn of Coldside.





For Wayne's expressions, I was referring to this image below:



Another part of the drawings I need to take into consideration is to have grunge art in them. But I've struggled as to find any good references to them. Although I found an interesting video the other day:


I think it's a student creating work for an art show, but I thought it was interesting that she used paints. I have been working digitally so I think that was why I've been struggling: not taking into account other methods. Because some of the stuff I've produced has been too clean according to Wayne, so I'm really trying to push myself and get the work up to the standard Wayne is asking for.
Some experiments and comparisons, could do with improving:
Below on the right has some recent feedback from Wayne:
This video is another experiment. I wanted to rotate cartoon Wayne's head to get an idea what it could look like if animated:
  • I've also done some bit's of photography/recordings for them when they've been at gigs. These pictures were taken at Wythenshawe Park on the 29th of July 2012 [Link]. The guys performed live on behalf of the BBC. They started around 6:00 pm, they were one of a handful of acts that played during the day. A fair amount of people turned up and the weather wasn't too bad either, cloudy and sunny at the same time. It was a good day.
I spoke to Dean later about some of the artwork I've put up on facebook for them to see. I get critical feedback off the boys, however, I've found I've sometimes had to wait a bit before someone gets back to me. I think I was expecting we'd all continually bounce ideas off one another through conversations on facebook. Especially Wayne, because he has some background in Graphic Design.
Speaking to Dean though, I can now understand why they've sometimes not got back to me. 
He said they can get busy arranging gigs to perform at. Plus when they go on facebook, their' group fans message them all the time, sometimes they have to scroll through the messages just to find mine. So it was good to know for future reference, I forget they actually get busy with what they do, that I assumed they would instantly respond.
Anyway, the screenshots below are of the Wythenshawe performance.
These screenshots below show the guys Dean & Jamie using some of my pictures from the Wythenshawe concert. I'm glad when they do this because I don't ask them to, they just use them. 
I feel like I'm contributing to their 'cause' if you could call it that. Taking pictures/recordings has been one of the best ways I've spent my free time during the holidays.
I'm no stranger to doing this either. I've took recordings and pictures of the guys from a previous event, the Manchester Academy on March the 3rd, because they asked me to. 
I've also taken pictures for my dad when he has organized events for Jimmy Egan's Boxing Academy. So I'm quite comfortable using my camera, but I'm still learning how to use it.
This video is an interview of my cousin Dean/Red on the day of their' gig at The Manchester Academy, when I went to take some pictures/recordings of them.
You can see me in small glimpses recording them in the backgrounds of this video, if you played at 2:32 and 2:43:
I don't think I'll complete what I want to do this summer, as I am managing two summer briefs, but even without them, this project won't end, because it's too big a thing to do in a small amount of time.
I want to get the character designs of Jamie, Wayne and Dean all finished at first. Then I want to animate them somehow, perhaps from a music track of theirs. I've already told Dean this idea and he's thrilled about it. He said 'That would be sick! It would give us a whole different dimention. You should try something from the demo (CD) like Faded or Don't Worry.'
I'm hoping when I enter my final year of Moving Image, I could take this idea up as my project. It's the year where we get more leeway with our projects and decided ourselves what they are to be about.
The project itself has made me appreciate more of the effort that goes into animation work, like from my last post about Duncan Studios. There's a substantial amount of thought, work and time that goes into the pieces, we barely bat an eyelid to them unless we have the privilege to see 'behind the scenes'. I know this from past works when I've had to complete college briefs, but I've found it's more evident with my project. I think more than anything, it's because it's personal.

No comments:

Post a Comment