Sunday, 9 September 2012

Disneyland Paris

On the 5th of September, I went to Disneyland Paris with my family for four days.
It was a holiday mainly for my younger sisters. I went before years ago, around the age of 13 with my old high school. The only difference other than which party I went with, was the travel. My first time traveling here was by the Eurostar train. This time I went by plane, although I hate flying. It was only under an hour the flight, but I'd rather take the train again in all fairness.

On the last day there, I went through the Walt Disney Studios Theme Park to see 'The Art of Disney Animation' building.

[Me stood in front of the 'Walt Disney Studios' Park entrance.]

[The 'Art of Disney Animation' building I was keen to go in.]

I wanted to see what was inside, in hopes to shed some more light on anything I don't know about Disney's animation processes and so on. We were in a bit of a rush too because we had to leave Disneyland around 3ish for the airport. Luckily the que wasn't bad when we arrived.

On the outside of the building, there were some beautiful rough sketches of recognizable characters from previous Disney productions over the years, mixed together. Up close, they seemed to be hand drawn which I found surprising. I've wondered if the designs were projected on the walls and then drawn or if they were just drawn from scratch. And who drew them? I want to find that out:




Once we were inside the building, it was like being in a musuem/gallery/cinema. The walls were decorated with works of Disney. There was some historical insight into how animation developed and an interesting video of Walt Disney and his nephew talking about the processes of most forms of animation.
It was great in terms of interaction too, you could play with the 'Zoetrope' and the 'Praxinoscope'.








After we watched the video of Walt, we were guided into a cinematic-looking room. When we settled down, we watched what looked like a reel of Disney's work, conveying various emotions and stories:


Once this finished, we were then whisked into another cinamatic-looking room, only it had a french speaker on a stage with the props of an animator's desk, etc.
We had to stick headphones in to understand what the speaker was saying, but it was fun to watch. 
There were two screens above him, and the character Mushu [from Mulan] 'interacted' with the speaker and whoever was on the next screen. Mushu was even voiced by Eddie Murphy for this. It was funny to watch, I didn't expect it at all and throughly enjoyed it.



Here's what we saw, I'm assuming this is the Disneyland Florida version:

[Post unfinished]
link to youtube video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsVBXUt8gjU
projection on castle much like John Hind's work:
https://vimeo.com/43887446

No comments:

Post a Comment