Sunday, 18 November 2012

Reflective Post: Directing the Story Book





Directing the Story was written by Francis Glebas.
This book was recommended to me by Chris Gaffey, a Director I mentioned in my Behance Portfolio Crit post.
He said if I really want to do animation as a career, then I should read more material like this.
He also mentioned another book to me to help me pitch any story ideas in future. I still need to find it.

Francis Glebas.

For those who don’t know, Francis Glebas was a Storyboard artist at Disney, who has 40 years experience in working in this field.
He worked on films like ‘The Lion King’, ‘Hercules’, ‘Pocahontas’ ‘The Hunchback of Notre Dame’, and many more.

Anyway, I am around page 72 in this book, and I can’t put it down! It has [with no pun intended] given me direction!
Before reading this, I would half the time feel lost when beginning a new project, generally how to visually tell my piece in storyboard form, because sometimes it wouldn’t look right or it wouldn’t make sense.
This book gives out some real handy tips on the dos and don’ts that orientate around an animators/storyboard artist’s choices.


One example of Glebas's detalic story boarding.


It really has opened my eyes up to what else I could possibly do with my work. My only regret with this book was not finding it in my first year of Moving Image. It would have helped so much!!
I really can’t put this book down, I’m trying my best not to skip ahead because it features a storyboard story of ‘1001 Arabian Nights’. Also, one of the points in the book Gleblas makes is that story-delaying is essential:
-       quote about story delaying.

I am going to chase up this other book of pitching Chris mentioned to me now. Hope to find it, I’m sure I wrote it down, but I can’t find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment