Friday, 30 November 2012

Reflective Post: Paper Cinema's Odyssey


Yesterday night, I went to the Contact Theatre in Manchester to watch 'Odyssey', created by  The Paper Cinema.
This version of the Greek tale portrays King Odysseus who gets swept away at sea for twenty years, separated from wife Penelope, and son Telemachus.

The Paper Cinema's Odyssey (Trailer) from The Difference Engine on Vimeo.


http://thepapercinema.com/

The story is depicted live to an audience using a streaming video camera, projectors and paper cutouts and puppets. The music is also performed live by musicians. It was quirky in a good way, because you were guided into a space that may as well of been a cinema/theatre. We could see the story unfolding on the projected screen [like a cinema], but the people in charge of sequencing the movement and sound were not hidden away. They were sat or stood either side of the stage opperating the equipment and puppets. It was cool because you could see how it was done, resting any questions I had on how it was executed. Watching the clips of the film remind me of looking at an animatic in a way, perhaps the simplistic line art style and how it's animated on the screen.
The beginning bit of the tale was hand drawn and painted before it switched to the puppets. Nicholas Rawling is the artist responsible for the illustrative style. I wondered if he was inspired by Hokusai or Ronald Searle line art.


It was the first I've heard of the Paper Cinema, I heard about it last week from my tutor.
I've seen similar story styles performed in school and in films, but hadn't been to one quite like this.
When I went to watch it, I loved it.
It made a change of seeing a pre-made film in your average cinema. I certainly came out of the theatre with a greater apreciation for this style of story-tellng.

No comments:

Post a Comment