Wednesday, 12 December 2012

Reflective Post: Inspiration and Originality

I watched this video roughly about a month ago and remembered it, hence posting about it here.
It's a person I follow on youtube like how you follow on twitter, He's called Tom, and he does a lot of video blogging as well as animating.
It's one of many that he's done, but what intrigued me about it was that he talks and gives advice about originality and inspiration in a creatives art work.
Whilst discussing this, he includes some clip examples of ideas he has taken from others and made them into his own.


I've always felt a little baffled about it, the fine line of trying to be unique and original without border-lining to copy right issues from an idea. I guess every creative endures this from time to time, I can certainly relate to this. Past projects that I've done or ideas I've suggested in group discussions have at some point or another come across contradictions, design, ownership and use in relation to what has been asked of us to do within a brief.

Another thing Tom does with his video is including this link below:
http://www.everythingisaremix.info/watch-the-series/
It takes you to a website with this vimeo video below. As Tom says in his video, it basically says what he said, but in greater detail, referring to past examples of creative work.
I've watched this, found it quite interesting. Probably will need to watch it again to get a better understanding of it.


Everything is a Remix Part 1 from Kirby Ferguson on Vimeo.

Reflection:
As I wrote further up the post, this is something I would get confused with. So watching what Tom said and the link he shared 'Everything is a remix', it's nice to know I'm not the only one who has felt this way.
It's also easier to understand what the issues are when someone is willing to show you examples of the do's and don'ts.
I kind of wished I came across this sooner, at least the remix video.



No comments:

Post a Comment