Thursday, 13 December 2012

Reflective Post: Deviant Art

Deviant Art is a website where creatives are free to exhibit their art work.
I joined last year in January and haven't looked back since.
It's great because you can see how many people view and like your work. You can ask for crit feedback too.
Professional creatives use Deviant Art too, like Tom Bancroft [ex Disney animator, who animated Mulan's Mushu]. Although, I think it acts more like a fan-base for them, but who doesn't want their work to be appreciated?

Great Artists I follow...
On the left: Facial expressions by VixieArts.
On the right: Doodles and illustrations by *Phobs
[Names are Deviant Art Usernames] 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I only found VixieArts last night, but their work is already influencing my style.
I did this doodle today to show how I felt about the pressure of college at the moment, though unfinished, I think it gets the message across, haha.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 

On the left: *tombancroft
On the right: 'alohalilo
[Names are Deviant Art Usernames]

Overall Thoughts...
Deviant Art is a really great resource. I refer to it a lot. If I'm not looking at others work, I'm posting my own. And the work on the website can be almost anything, from commissions to scraps.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The only downside I guess is not all the users are 'mature'.
I had a kid 'lecturing' me on the Dreamworks 'How to Train your Dragon' Toothless dragon, because I decided to make it look grey instead of black. It was only a doodle thing, nothing special, Fan art, end of story.
I wouldn't mind, but other people have done this as well!
Oh well, suppose you can't please everyone.
Here's the examples of the 'Toothless' drawings:

 On the left: Neko2Stardust [Mine]
On the right: RubyDaSquirlz
[Names are Deviant Art Usernames]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Getting back to the point though, it's great for competitions, articles, feedback and networking. I think it's a fantastic resource.
The work I've found on there certainly has inspired me and influenced my art style.

No comments:

Post a Comment